Thursday, March 17, 2011

"These Ones" and Rufous-Backed Robin

Grammar Peeve (my wife really hates this): I can think of only one time when it is acceptable to say, "These ones." It would be when counting stacks of money. "These ones, those fives, the tens over there." Okay, I'll stop being a smartass, now. Seriously, it is not necessary to add "ones" when identifying anything in a group. Just say, "this one when singular and, "these" when plural.

Bird of the Day: Rufous-backed robin -- the most recent addition to my life list. I saw it in February 2011 on the grounds of a monastery in St. David, Arizona, southeast of Tucson. It is a Mexican species that occasionally winters north of the border. Picture a regular ol' robin with a reddish back and you have a pretty good idea of what it looks like. Here's a link to the Wikipedia article on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rufous-backed_Robin

I don't have the proper equipment to photograph birds well, but I do have a few pix that I will include with future posts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff: interesting. I had no idea birds had nationalities.