Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Weeds, Bugs and Birds

Weed kills – no wait a minute, that’s a subject for a whole other blog. (It is a known fact that “weed” kills inhibitions and twinkies.)
What I meant to say is weed killers kill. Duh! Of course they do, it’s right in the name – “killer.” Unfortunately, weed killers kill more than weeds.
This goes for pre-emergent herbicides too. Okay, I know what you’re thinking, “Yes, I know they are bad for the environment, but the little bit I use in my yard won’t hurt, and I don’t have time to sit there pulling all those weeds.”
I don’t know whether you have time or not, but I do know that the “little bit” you use in your yard DOES HURT. Pre-emergents are the killers that go on killing. They kill the targeted weeds, along with insects and worms that are eaten by birds. The birds die too.
I’m not a chemist, but there are a zillion sites (I counted) that explain all the hazards. And, it’s not just birds that are affected. There is evidence that lawn and garden chemicals can cause leukemia and other cancers in children.

And, I’m not even talking about the big dog in the room – pesticides. Just Google pesticide hazards, and you will get back into bed and pull the covers over your head. The list of bad stuff associated with pesticides goes on and on. The state of Connecticut says, “Chronic effects of pesticide and herbicide
exposure can include immune system suppression, birth defects, cancer, and neurotoxicity.” Pesticide use has been linked to Parkinson’s disease and a whole lot of other health problems.

DDT was one of the most widely used pesticides in the world. Unless you have been visiting Mars for the last several years, you know the havoc that it caused. Fortunately, peregrine falcons and bald eagles escaped extinction. Also, pesticide use in Argentina caused a significant decline in wintering Swainson’s hawk populations. Fortunately, the link was identified and mitigated.

So, this is the world we live in, right?  These chemicals exist and they are not going away. All I’m saying is make educated choices:

• Get information
• Be aware of your actions and their consequences
• Seek out alternatives

No comments: